Value: £2.1 million
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Following a partial demolition and full refurbishment of the existing Lifton House building. The internal works were completed to a very high specification with new glazed partitions and a glazed handrail system to the refurbished staircase.
Now completed Lifton House will become GMB’s regional headquarters and will see them move from their current offices on Mosley Street. The space will create a modern flexible working environment that has been designed to work in harmony with the existing historic features of the building.
The entire building has been refurbished internally and externally to a purpose built modern standard to suit the GMB’s needs. Works entailed the following:
Extensive asbestos removal as the existing 1960’s building was constructed at the height of the use of asbestos in construction activities due to its fire resistance properties, demolition of the old 1960’s extension building once all of the ACM’s had been removed and the replacement / reconstruction of a new modern fresh extension with a glazed façade to allow light to enter the building. The remaining 1900’s building has now been fitted out to a modern standard allowing for glazed partitions, raft ceilings, acoustic baffles etc to allow the building to be more open and create an exceptional environment to work in.
The external of the 1900’s building has been recovered in an attractive / modern zinc finish to mask the scars created on the existing building following the removal of the 1960’s building.